Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) is important in business. However, currently our sector is not yet representative of the UK workforce for gender, ethnicity, disability, and age. At present only 5% of the current sector’s employees are from Black, Asian and Ethnic Minority groups compared to 15% nationally, furthermore only 9% of the sector is representative of senior Female talent. So, what can be done to change this?
Firstly, we need to acknowledge that barriers do exist. When there is a clear understanding of the current business culture and talent pool, positive and engaged change can be made. Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) objectives and initiatives can then be put into place to enable equal opportunity through fairness and transparency.
When recruiting, make certain that your executive search partner understands the businesses EDI initiatives and diversity hiring needs, ensuring they are aware of how important these objectives are for the success of the wider business.
Here are a few key questions to ask your search partner to determine their EDI position:
- How can the prospective search firm bring value to support your organisations wider EDI objectives?
- How does your search partner actively encourage Diverse talent into the industry?
- Is your search partner able to share any EDI initiatives that they have been involved within?
- Do they have any relevant testimonials or case studies that can be shared?
- How is their candidate sourcing strategy likely to reach and attract candidates from under-represented groups?
- What are your search partner’s Ethnic Minority, Female and or under-represented talent placement statistics?
It is important to unearth the answers to these questions before a search firm is selected. Prioritising working with an executive search partner who shares your EDI objectives and passion within this area, is key to shared success. Their passion will be reflected during the search and when speaking to candidates, ensuring the message will be promoted in the industry, reaching a wider pool of your target candidates.
For more information about our Diversity and Inclusion Services - Click here.